Get the best tips to make the most out of your cookware.
How to better use my cookware
General cookware use and care tips:
• Before first use: Wash the frying pan in hot water and washing-up liquid to remove any dust. Dry it and rub a little cooking oil into the non-stick coating before using for the first time. Remove any excess oil.
• Caring for your cookware: Wash and dry your cookware after each use.
• Utensils to use with your cookware: Use plastic or wood utensils. With some ranges, you can use certain metal utensils with the exception of knives and whisks (Refer to the recommendations for use indicated on the packaging or in the instructions included with the product). However, care should be exercised when using any metal utensil. Avoid using sharp edged utensils and avoid cutting directly in the pan. Do not stab or gouge the non-stick surface. Slight surface marks or abrasions are normal and will not affect the performance of the cookware.
• During and after cooking:
- Do not let pans boil dry and do not leave empty pans on a heated burner
- Never leave pans unattended while cooking
- Avoid overheating your empty pan
- Never heat fat or oil to the extent that it burns and turns black
- Never put cold water directly into a hot pan. Sudden changes intemperature may cause metal to warp, resulting in an uneven base
- For stainless steel pans, add salt to water only after it has come to the boil (to avoid salt grains damaging the stainless steel)
- Always select the proper electric burner size or adjust the gas burner so the flame only touches the bottom of the pan and does not climb up the sides.
- Let pans cool before cleaning.
I have purchased Ingenio cookware. What are some tips on how to prolong the life of the removable handle?
It is recommended to remove the handle during cooking when it is not required to prevent it from overheating and ensure its durability. Do not expose handle to flames and do not put the handle in the dishwasher. Make sure to remove the handle (and lid) once you have placed your Ingenio cookware in the oven. Do not use the handle to carry anything over 10kg.
Overheating the handle can damage or break it. The handle may therefore no longer function correctly and there is the risk that the pan could fall and you could burn yourself.
If you notice any heat damage to the handle it is advised that you do not use it and you should replace it with a new one.
If your pan becomes misshapen after a knock or a fall, it should no longer be used and we recommend that you replace it with a new one. If you continue to use the pan ensure that you can still fit the handle securely on the pan and be aware that you will be using the pan at your own risk.
I have purchased Ingenio cookware. What are the different types of Ingenio lids?
There are five (5) types of lids in the Ingenio range. Please note that only Ingenio Cast Aluminium lids are oven safe.
• Stackable see-through lids with silicone and foldable knobs for all Ingenio® saucepans.
• Plastic lids (compatible with saucepans, wok pans and sauté pans) and silicone lids for food conservation
• Stainless steel multi diameter and draining lid (14/16/18/20) for Ingenio® saucepans up to 20cm
• Stainless steel multi diameter and anti-spattering lid (24/26/28cm) for Ingenio® frying pans and sauté pans upto 28cm
• Cast Aluminium lids(18/20/22/24cm) to cook on hobs or into the oven (up to 250°C). The lid and its knob can be hot after a prolonged use. For safety, we encourage to use an oven glove.
Is non-stick cookware oven proof?
Most non-stick cookware are oven proof up to a certain temperature depending on the handle it comes with.
Please find below guide:
- Bakelite handles - 175°C, for up to one hour
- Silicone handle/Stainless steel handles with silicone insert – 210°C (175°C with glass lid)
- Stainless steel handles - 250°C (175°C with glass lid)
Is it useful to cook at high temperatures with my non-stick cookware?
No. Cooking at high temperature does not result in a significant decrease in cooking time and certainly does not contribute to the quality of the food, so cooking at medium temperature is highly recommended. Another reason for this recommendation is that high temperature cooking might damage the non-stick coating.
Can I cook without oil using my non-stick cookware?
To extend the life of the coating, you should use a small amount of oil when stir-frying or grilling. Oil is not needed when boiling or stewing.
Why is the base of my pan warped and has become wobbly?
A pan warps under thermal shock (an overheated empty pan, a hot pan in contact with cold water or placed on a cold surface, etc.). Before cleaning the pan, let it cool to room temperature. Also never put cold water into a hot pan or plunge hot cookware in cold water. Sudden changes of temperature may cause the metal to warp, resulting in an uneven base. A warped pan will give poor cooking results.
Which type of pans are suitable for use on an induction hob?
On the packaging look out for Induction compatible or all hobs compatible to ensure the cookware is able to be used or recommended by the manufacturer to use on Induction Hobs.
The quick tip to check whether your pans work on an induction hob is to do the magnet test on the pans. If a magnet will stick to the base of the pans, they will work on a commercial induction hob.